PHILADELPHIA, PA. 5/13/2012 – Four Philadelphia schools competed in the 2012 Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta this past weekend on the Schuylkill River. Drexel took home four medals in the Grand Finals, and won gold in a Petite Final race. Saint Joseph’s and Temple had boats in the Grand Finals, both winning medals. LaSalle also competed, but was unable to garner a medal.
For Drexel it was a history making day as the Women’s Novice 8 and Second Varsity 8 won gold medals, the first gold medal victories for the women’s program. The Women’s Varsity 8 won gold in the Petite Final. The Men’s Novice 8 captured a silver medal for the third straight year, while the Men’s Varsity 8 took home a bronze medal in the finals. Overall, Drexel placed second with a total fo 35 points. Purdue took first with 37 points.
The Men’s Novice 4 remained undefeated this season for Temple winning a gold medal. The Men’s Junior Varsity 8 placed 5th in their race. The Cherry and White placed 4th in the Women’s Varsity 8 Petite Final.
Saint Joseph’s men and women brought home bronze medals. The men won its first medal since 2010 in the Lightweight 8. The Second varsity 8 placed 6th in the final. The women took third in the Second Varsity 8, a race they won the previous year. The women Varsity 8 finished 6th in the Petite Final.
Women’s Second Varsity 8
1. Gold Medal – Drexel 7:11.124 – Kerry Walsh (Coxswain), Jackie Bender, Elizabeth Campanella, Juliana DeMarici, Mallory Sykes, Amanda O’Malley, Alyssa Leahy, Asiya Mahmud, Colleen Delaney
3. Bronze Medal – Saint Joseph’s 7:13.473 – Laken Ethun (Coxswain), Alexa Lawson, Kelsey Laszelere, Jill Perkins, Jackie Castorino, Nicola O’Donnell, Angeline Novella, Jenni Broring, Meaghan Scher
Women’s Novice 8
1. Gold Medal – Drexel 7:04.592 – Catherine Hamilton (Coxswain), Meredith Bracken, Emily Gartland, Olivia Babiec, Bridget Pfeifer, Amanda Kleuser, Joy Lingling, Jayme Batcher, Elise Levito
Men’s Varsity 8
3. Bronze Medal – Drexel 6:02.401 – Randall Lee (Coxswain), Kurt Linton, Paul Wisniowski, Aleksander Radovic, Lorenzo Albala, Sebastian Ryan, Vanja Busic, Michael Faust, Will Masters
5. Temple 6:06.266 – Donald Norris (Coxswain), James Barr, Aaron Heyde, Mike Mirabella, Brian Reehill, Diordje Vilmanovic, Perry Cox, Kevin Nally, Brandon Joyce
Men’s Second Varsity 8
4. Drexel 6:19.790 – Marc Smith (Coxswain), John Pieper, Marcus DeMarici, Martin Khait, Brian Timlin, Kevin Rorabaugh, Ryan Mallgrave, Timothy Drake, Patrick McGann
5. Temple 6:21.772 – Matthew Sbei (Coxswain), Sean McKenna, Joe Bellesheim, John Boehm, Mike Van Assche, Trey Ehmer, Steve Linderman, Chris Roberts, Alex Klein
6. Saint Joseph’s 6:25.225 – Caroline McGuire (Coxswain), Patrick Kennedy, Michael Walsh, Mark Ioli, Tom Zresz, Nick Shafer, Rob Gilroy, David Robinson, Matt Johnson
Men’s Novice 8
2. Silver Medal – Drexel 6:09.310 – Victoria Kenion (Coxswain), Dean Hill, Brian McCabe, Hartman Byers, Jake Murphy, Christian Ladd, Casimir Czworkowski, Brigorios Papadourakis, Cameron Staines
Women’s Varsity 8
1. Gold Medal – Drexel 6:55.857 – Alex Paulin (Coxswain), Julia Jackson, Elizabeth Daugherty, Mollie Cusack, Samantha Cowan, Elizabeth Bratton, Emily Coyle, Sierra Baca, Alexa Antonioli
4. Temple 6:59.121 – Ellie Oken (Coxswain), Gina Inverso, Allison Boc, Taylor Wasserleben, Joanna Sutor, Kara Jackson, Claudia Loeber, Paige O’Sullivan
5. Saint Joseph’s 7:01.842 – Katie Messina (Coxswain), Amanda McEvoy, Felicia Gojmerac, Gabriella Parker, Taylor Biesiada, Bridget Dempsey, Ariana McDevitt, Brittany Roth, Rachel Shustack
Men’s Novice 4
1. Temple 6:51 – Matthew Ciarella (Coxswain), Connor Murphy, Pat Woodruff, Josh Kuzo, Vince DiPentino
Men’s Lightweight 8
3. Bronze Medal – Saint Joseph’s – Brandon Ciccone (Coxswain), Tom Garry, Mike Sheehan, Brandon Hanna, Sean Stewart, Matt Benedetto, Justin Gentile, Nick Hoell, Chris Young